Thursday, October 24, 2013

Treasure Chest Thursday - Dynachrome Home Movie Revealed!

Two weeks ago today, I set out to discover finally what was on this Dynachrome Color Film that Dad had with his things.

See the post here: http://waitheritage.blogspot.com/2013/10/treasure-chest-thursday-dynachrome.html

I finally decided to take it to a local business called Shramek's Video Productions. It's run by a former Lincoln Police Officer and his wife and I'm a big fan of small businesses and they do their thing in-house, so I didn't have to worry about it getting lost during shipping. The owner, Grant Shramek sat down with me last week when I dropped the film off and went through all of the options. We actually had a nice conversation and he ended up telling me about the time he played a Russian in the Kris Kristofferson movie Amerika. hahaha...

We finally decided to have the movie put onto a thumb drive so I could copy the file onto my computer and edit it. More importantly, so I could upload it here and share it with family and all of you! The final cost was $35.28 including the thumb drive that has a lot more space than this needed. If/When I find another movie to digitize, I can just take in the same thumb drive and they can add it for about $15 or so. Not too shabby!

+~+~+~+~+~+~+~ Putting out the vibe for more movies!!! ~+~+~+~+~+~+~+

I dropped it off last Wednesday and they called me Tuesday to say that it was done. Of course, I forgot my cell phone that day so I didn't get the message until I was all the way home. But yesterday after work, I went right over to pick it up! Grant Shramek was there again and he's going to send me some links to help with editing the movie. He didn't give away what was on it, though. I'll gladly recommend their service to anyone and everyone in the area and use them again in the future!



So, finally... Dane and I just watched it this morning. My "friends" on Facebook had teased me long enough about how they hoped it wasn't x-rated after all of this. Lol!! I have to admit that I'm a little disappointed in the content... I had REALLY high hopes that it would be my parents and my sisters & brothers in the movie. And that it would be like an hour long. Lol! I miss my Dad so much that I had really hoped to see him in action again.

It is my extended family, though. And to be fair, my cousins have gone much longer without seeing their mother. Maybe they can help me identify people in the movie? I recognized Cousin Bert Kennel right off the bat... and later on, Aunt Vivian (my Dad's older sister) makes an appearance. I think I saw Cousins Dee and Del, too. The cameraman doesn't make an appearance at all, but hopefully someone remembers this day and can put it into perspective for us? Who, What, Where, When, Why... that's what I want to know. ;-)

I definitely want to learn how to go frame-by-frame to catch a picture of the people in it. Every time I try to pause it to get a good picture of someone, it's all blurry. I'll put that on my "to learn" list... I've wanted to do that for quite some time now, so it'll be nice to have something to practice with.

Oh, and there's no sound. Were home movies silent back then?

Without further ado...

(here's our family tradition of cutting people's heads off in pictures. Lol!)



I'm more than willing to copy this and send it out to any family members who want a copy. The file is 73.5MB, so it'll probably have to be on a thumbdrive or I can burn a copy to a CD? Maybe a DVD? I'll have to play around with that and see if I have the right software on my computer.

I hope this brings back happy memories!! 

1 comment:

  1. It has taken me awhile to get to read this, but I finally did, and watched the film. So sorry you were disappointed by what was on it, I know you are happy to have it no matter what, it is wonderful. I will be wanting to learn more about film as I am using more video myself and my dad took a lot of movies when we were younger. I may have to hit you up for some tips! Great post.

    ReplyDelete