Sunday, September 29, 2013

The Journey by Mary Oliver - Poem Review

Dream WorkDream Work by Mary Oliver
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

To be fair, I haven't finished this book yet. I've only read one poem. It's five stars just based on The Journey.

Boy... the second I read it, then read it again, then read it out loud... and even then, closed my eyes and just let it sink in... and let the tears come... wow.

Especially towards the end.

... "and there was a new voice, which you slowly recognized as your own, that kept you company as you strode deeper and deeper into the world, determined to do the only thing you could do - determined to save the only life you could save."

I can only begin to describe the feelings it brought to the surface...

Purposefulness... it definitely gave me that.
Validation... for being different and choosing to follow my own path.
Strength... to trust my instincts and follow where they lead me, despite the naysayers.
Permission... to take care of myself, first and foremost.

I cut the reprint out of O Magazine (April 2011) and it's been on my vision board ever since.




No comments:

Post a Comment