Tuesday, September 3, 2013

My Name is Kathy, and I Am a Scanner

Welcome to Curiosity Fueled the Kat!

You may have noticed that I spent some time today revamping my blog... again. It's a sign of the times for me, and although it doesn't look exactly like I want it to yet, it's getting there! Like me, it's a work in progress! The most important change is that I've decided to incorporate more areas of my life into it at long last! 

You see, I have a confession to make. I Am A Scanner. You can learn more about what exactly a scanner is by clicking the I Am A Scanner link back there or at the top of my page. It's an excerpt from one of my favorite books, Refuse to Choose!

I can't even begin to tell you how relieved and validated I felt when I read this book in 2010 (right after I stopped blogging). This book describes me to a "T"!! Since then, I've made an effort to improve my focusing skills, but for the most part... this is me. If you're a stranger coming to my page for the first time or even one of my friends or loved ones wondering what makes me tick, start there! 

It might also interest you to read this weekend's post about the Book of Me. You'll see what I meant when I said that I identified with the label Scanner. I'm all over the place.

When I started this blog, I did a really good job at posting genealogy entries for about 5 months. Then there was a 6 month gap, and then I posted intermittently for about 5 months. Then there was the hiatus between July 2009 to July 2010... See how my mind works. In cycles. Fits and spurts, you might say.

During a career change in 2007-2008, I had a Life Coaching blog. That went on for less than a year, but was during my phase where I was feeling very insightful and would post observations about the world I lived in. Chicago, at that time. I should dig that one up and merge into this one! Why not.

In 2004, I kept a blog during my Dad's cancer treatment to keep friends and loved ones informed on his condition. Sadly, that only lasted for a month until the time when we had to let him go. It's all in there. Along with some of my unfinished thoughts and reflections. I was trying to edit my thoughts so I wouldn't offend anyone, and actually ended up with quite a few emails asking what I was going to say. By then, it had completely escaped me and eludes me still. 

Then there are my journals that I've kept for most of my adult life... which will NOT be posted here... Well, unless I go back through them and want to relive and share some of my breakthroughs or life events. That's not out of the question, I guess, but I literally just thought of it! 

My point is that one of the very few constants in my life has been writing! No matter what I was into, or where I was, or what I've gone through... through successes and epic failures... in good times and in bad... I've written about it. I've always been a better communicator on paper than in real life. The problem was that it felt all chopped up because I was trying to "specialize"... talk to one type of reader so they could stay engaged... carve out a niche... stay "on topic"... But that's just not me! Not here, anyway.

So here I am at the ripe old age of 45 and I've finally decided to just go with it. I'm embracing my Scanner tendencies!! I'll climb every mountain... chase the shadows of relatives long gone... get my hands dirty... and if you're lucky enough, you'll get to read all about it! 

Like my wavy-but-not-curly dishwater-blonde-ish hair, I'm just going to let nature take it's course and stop fighting it! No straightening, no perm-ing, no highlights, no lowlights, and for crying out loud, no boxed haircolor! It is what it is. No amount of interference from me is going to make it any better than it is naturally.

I am what I am! (and that's all that I'yam) So I'm going to stop fighting it! No more pandering. No more mincing words. No more walking on eggshells. Enough with the blog-dentity crisis! That just eats up my valuable resources... Time and Money!

From now on, here's how it's going to go: I'm going to write what I feel!!

If I want to post a picture of what I had for dinner, I'm going to do it. I don't care what people think. If it was something that we really enjoyed, then I want to share it so you can try it, too! Surprise, surprise, but I get really bored with food so I make it a point to try cooking something entirely different every now and then. (btw - I made THIS for dinner tonight and it was AWESOME! Just double the sauce if you're going to have pasta with it. We have enough for leftovers! Bonus!)

Ditto for anything that's up in the new header up there... it says: 

"Genealogy, Travel, Music, History, Photography, Books, Gardening, Food, and who knows what else." 

... and that's exactly what you're going to get. Me! Right along with my weekly Book of Me posts so I can share MY story for once.

So!! 

Are you ready?? 

LET'S DO THIS.

1 comment:

  1. You'll never believe this, but I just found yet ANOTHER blog from 2011 that I have 3 whole entries on. This just keeps getting better! Looks like I'll need to merge http://kathyspotential.blogspot.com/ in with this one as well! At least I was getting on the right track with that one!

    ReplyDelete