Sunday, October 11, 2009

Wait Family Heritage Group & Nonprofit

I thought I'd let you all know about a genealogy group that I started.

http://waitheritage.ning.com/

Over the last few months that I've been researching my WAIT roots, I've "met" probably a dozen people online who have also researched my line.  Through a series of emails and messages on Ancestry.com, I've learned a lot about where I come from (and where I don't)!  One of the things that bugged me about using this method was that all of that info was now tucked away in a private message, and I wondered who else I might meet if these discussions were out in the public eye.

So I had this idea to start a group where everyone could contribute what they know and we could get to know each other.   I searched around a bit and ended up modeling it after the Parker Heritage Group.

I started interest groups for each of the families in my line:

Frederick Hiram WAIT (1876-1955)


William H WAITS (1845-1927)


James G WAITS (1816-1880)


Charles Waits (1790-1868)


James WAITS (1760-1855)


John WAITS (1730-1791) (my brick wall WAITS)


I also started interest groups for each of the states they lived in:

NEBRASKA Genealogy


OHIO Genealogy


Along with that, there is a group for the DNA project:

Waite DNA Surname Project


I highly recommend that you take a look and join the groups that call to you.  You can add to discussions, start new ones, upload some photos, even have a blog!  Then keep checking back every week as new content is added and the site really starts to pick up momentum!  The more eyes we have on our history, the more we stand to learn!

My vision is to start a Wait Family Association that's dedicated to preserving the heritage of the Wait family through education and genealogy.  I want to run it as a not-for-profit 501(c)(3) organization.  I've been doing some initial research for a couple of weeks and just this morning, I found another family to model the group after!

Towne Family Association

The Next Generation of Genealogy Software has been on my radar as an excellent way to share our trees, census forms, documents, and photos, so it's pretty cool that they use that platform as well!

For those of you who were at the reunion this July, you'll remember that in the land of Hunters and Farmers, I'm a Hunter.  I have a vision.  I have ideas.  I have passion.  I have social skills.  What I need are some more Hunters to collaborate with. And most importantly, some Farmers who are good at things like business practices, the law, accounting, and general stick-to-it-iveness.  People who are dotting the i's and crossing the t's.

If you think you'd be interested in helping with this project or know someone else who would be, please get in contact with me!
____________

Update (9/5/2013) -- The idea for the ning site and the family association fell through the cracks since this post. Please disregard.

No comments:

Post a Comment