Tuesday, September 29, 2009

Tombstone Tuesday - Blue Mound Cemetery, Milford, Nebraska



I took a little trip to Milford today to take a couple of photos for people on www.findagrave.com.  One of the requests was for a military stone and the requester mentioned that it might just be a stone with his ancestor's name and military information on it, and that it was probably in a long row of military stones.  Wow.  Was he ever right!

There are 165 stones in this cemetery that honor G.A.R. soldiers.  I could tell from the dates on the star that it had to do something with the Civil war, but had to look it up when I got back.  G.A.R. stands for the Grand Army of the Republic... ie: those who fought for the Union side in the Civil War.  I had no idea that there were so many of these graves here in the Nebraska countryside!  I wonder if this cemetery was "the place" to bury them?

When I set out to find the headstone I came for, I very systematically went through and photographed all of these military headstones so I could load them onto the findagrave website.  I figured it would be a good little project for me and it was my way of thanking them for their service.  Unfortunately, I forgot to bring a spare battery for my camera... ouch... so I was able to get all of the stones except THREE.  Ugh.  And that was before I made it over to the cemetery in Ruby, NE for another findagrave request.

Fortunately, it was a beautiful day to spend snapping photos and I'm looking forward to my return so I can finish what I started.


1 comment:

  1. I;m methodically posting many headstones on my site to help people who can't visit certain areas, but I've never actually gone on a cemetery trip on a quest for one person like you have. You're truly an angel!
    Evelyn in Montreal

    ReplyDelete