Monday, September 28, 2009

Madness Monday - Turning Over a New Leaf

I had a bit of a panic attack on Friday!  I decided to clean up the categories that I use in my blog entries... delete any subcategories... use just surnames instead of full names... centuries instead of decades... you can see my handiwork by clicking the dropdown arrow for "Categories" over there on the right margin.  --->

So after I switched my categories and got them the way I wanted them, I went through each post and reassigned categories to them.  I was moving right along until I got to the entries that I wrote about my Dad... in particular, this post: http://blog.kathywaitmyers.com/2009/07/30/taking-thursday-off-kinda/

It took me right back to the week that I wrote my first Tombstone Tuesday post about my Dad.  It took me a week to come up with that entry because it dug up all of the emotions I felt when he died.  It was an emotional rollercoaster!  So I took a big breath and went to the post right before that one:  http://blog.kathywaitmyers.com/2009/07/29/wordless-wednesday-dad-and-shipmates-during-korean-war/

I sat there for a minute admiring the photo, wishing that he didn't have such a weird look on his face and that his eyes were open.  He was probably trying to give the guy in front of him "rabbit ears" right before they snapped the photo.  haha...  Then I went to the previous entry, which I knew would be this one: http://blog.kathywaitmyers.com/2009/07/29/tombstone-tuesday-roy-frederick-sonny-wait-jr-1931-2004/

................. and it wasn't there .................

The whole world stopped.  I stared at my screen for what seemed like an hour.  Then I started talking to myself....
oh my gosh. oh my gosh. where is it? where is Dad's post? oh my gosh. oh my gosh. oh my gosh. okay.... breathe... okay... THINK!!!  where is it? what happened to it?  oh my gosh. Check your old blog!  Okay.... crap!!!!  It's not there!!!  Where are the rest of my entries?????  There's like a whole week missing!!!  THINK!!  THINK!!  Ok!!  Check the blogger blog that you posted last week when you freaked out about wordpress.com!!  Okay!!!  It's there!!!  They're all there!!!  Now how do you get it back over to your new blog. Oh!  That's right!  I exported the old blog, so that file is here somewhere.  Where is it... where is it...  OK!  Found it!  Now, IMPORT!!!  Whew... okay... it's there... they're all there now... I CAN'T BELIEVE THAT WORDPRESS DELETED TWELVE OF MY BLOG ENTRIES!!!!!  Now I know why I freaked out about them last Friday and was compelled to move my blog somewhere else!  My Dad was probably pushing me to export it so his information wouldn't be lost.  Thank you Dad!!  Thank you Universe!!  Thank you, whatever made me freak out and move my blog twice in a week!!   

Suddenly, all of my "what if's" have come to the forefront of my mind.  What if my hard drive crashes? What if I accidentally delete something I'm not supposed to?  What if I scan all of these pictures and then something happens and I lose the files?  What if, what if, what if??

So I'm turning over a new leaf!  I've decided that I need to export my blog WAY more often. Weekly during Monday Madness?  After every post?  I haven't decided.  What do you think?  I remember seeing something that Thomas MacEntee from Geneabloggers posted a while ago about keeping backups of your blog.  I'll have to dig that up and see what he said about it (my brain was full when I read it the first time)!

I also spent the weekend researching portable external hard drives so I can back up my hard drive regularly.  After looking at a bunch of them, I decided the Western Digital Elements 500 GB Portable External Hard Drive.  According to the techy guys at Amazon, it's probably my best bet.  Enough memory to last me a while and I guess the NTFS format is what I need so I can copy folders and files that are over 4GB.  That'll come in handy the next time AnceStories hosts Scanfest!!  It's a little more expensive than the desktop version, but it's only 6oz instead of 3lbs so I'll be more likely to pack it up to take it to my next family reunion.  I even followed through and bought it!!  I'll let you know how my first backup goes!  Can't wait!!

No comments:

Post a Comment