I may have found a photo of my great-great-great-grandfather on Ancestry.com today! That would be Fred Wait's grandfather! Wow!
I've emailed the owner of the tree that I found him in to see if I can get a copy of the photo to share with you. She also has a picture of Fred's uncle James Turner Waits where you can totally see his resemblance to William Henry (Grandpa Fred's dad... pictured here!).
James G Waits
- 16 May 1816
- in Springfield, Champaign, Ohio, USA
- 22 Jun 1880
- in Seward, Seward, Nebraska, USA
James G Waits fought in the Civil War
- 16 Sep 1862 - Enlisted in Company K, Ohio 79th Infantry Regiment
- 29 Sep 1862 - Enlisted in Company 4th Indpt, Ohio 4th Sharp Shooter Company
- 25 Apr 1863 - Mustered Out
James' brother William Christopher Waits also fought in the Civil War.
- 27 Dec 1861 - Enlisted in Company B, Ohio 60th Regiment
- 8 Jul 1862 - Died in an Army hospital in Winchester, Virginia.
I wonder what it must have been like for James. Did he know that his brother had passed? Were they serving anywhere near each other? My g-g-grandfather William was James' first born son... is he William Christopher's namesake?
It looks like I'll need to do a little research on the Civil War and its battles. It would be nice to see a visual map of where they served or what battles they were in.